Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the role of the wife...

     As the years have gone by there are many women who feel that the role of the wife/significant other has changed dramatically.  Those are usually the women with the frame of mind that say...he's a grown man and he can do it himself.  I'm not his slave.  I am not one of those women.  I am an independent woman in the sense that I moved away from home, have lived on my own, have gotten a job when I needed more money to support myself and my lifestyle.  Also, marriage didn't really change that considering I became an Army Wife and when you marry into the Army, it is understood that being independent is a mandatory requirement.  However, personally I would view myself as an old fashioned wife.  An old friend once told me I was moving the feminist movement backwards, and I guess in her mind that was true, in my mind however, I was on a completely different page.  The wonderful women, wife, and mother role models that I have had, structured the person I have become.  There was sometimes sacrifice, and there was sometimes anger and frustration, but there was ALWAYS love.  I live in the modern world.  I work later than my husband, and we eat out more frequently than we eat at home (at least recently)  However, if he is hungry...I'll make him something to eat, if he's bored, I'll get dressed to go for a drive, if he's tired, we go to bed early, and when he is struggling with something I will do my best to help him any which way I can.  I do it out of love.  No other reason.  I don't mind, (well sometimes I say...A little help here!!!)  but mostly I don't mind.  The women before me were selfless.  They gave to others first without a second thought and with more love than you could ever imagine.  I hope to be the same, and in my heart I know that same blood runs through me.  I am one of those rare women who still gives themselves to their family with no reservations.

Just another reason why "Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower!"

No comments:

Post a Comment