Thursday, January 13, 2011

Completing Tasks

     I have been fortunate enough in my life to have discovered at a relatively young age the secret to staying motivated, even when life seems to be handing you one lemon after another.  What is the secret you ask?  Hrm, should I say?  Of course,  I will let you know...the secret to staying motivated is to accomplish a task.  Now I know what you are thinking...accomplishing tasks that make you feel accomplished and therefore motivated is hard in itself, not as easy as I make it out to be...if I am right and that is what you are thinking, then here's some food for thought, perhaps your tasks are too ambitious.  The idea is to create small manageable tasks, there may be more of them on a list or calendar schedule, however, the likeliness of them getting done with your nerves, and sanity still in tact are much higher.
     For example, if you are like me, and work long LONG days, planning to "clean the house" on Tuesday after work is 1. too vague and 2. IMPOSSIBLE!  Think about it, you got up early, and probably went to bed late.  Then you worked all day, now you have to go home (theoretically eat dinner) and then clean your whole house?  Umm I'm by no means an expert but my guess you wont get past the first room before you begin to fall asleep.  Then you go to bed frustrated and annoyed.  Think about it, what if your list said Tuesday Clean Dishes.  Now, you are tired and you come home, (you get take-out because umm you ALREADY HAVE DISHES!) You eat and perhaps share the stories of your day with loved ones.  Then you enter the kitchen clean the dishes and voila!  An hour later (depending on the method and amount of dishes) your task is crossed off!  Immediately you will start feeling better.  Go ahead give it a try...I'll wait...Just kidding, you can let me know if it worked. 

Just remember " Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

No comments:

Post a Comment