Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pride

     Pride is a funny thing.  Too much pride can lead to complications when dealing with other people, however, to be proud is an amazing feeling that I don't think too many people really take advantage of anymore.  I just survived 2 days of field trips to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science with my 4-5 year old class.  Both days...the kids were golden!  Today, was a more challenging group of new, younger BOYS!!!  (only 1 girl) and they were more well behaved than a group of 5th/6th graders that happened to be scheduled to see the same show as we were in the Planetarium.  There was pride as an educator that my students were not only having a blast, but they were also well behaved in the process.  Holding discussions with the students after the fact and seeing that they retained information I told them was a huge moment of pride. 
     Teaching is not the only thing that gives me pride however, and I think I don't give myself credit for all that I have accomplished in my 26 years.  I have a bachelors degree in Anthropology, I graduated from the honors college!  I wrote a thesis about Egyptian burial customs during the Ptolemaic Period.  I moved away and survived a lousy relationship, and stuck it out to complete my graduate program with flying colors.  I have always been the type of person who relied on the security that others could provide for me, but I met an amazing man, and we got married and now I am living the Army Wife life, and I get it!  I'm a genius when it comes to paying bills.  I occasionally doubt my job, but the truth is...I'm great at it.  I have completed 2 half marathons and am 4 months away from my 3rd half.  I have fundraised and volunteered for some amazing organizations...most recently Team In Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and Soldiers Angels.  My two puppies are treated like royalty and I wouldn't have it any other way. 
     The hardest thing to do as humans is to take credit where credit is due.  Most people wait for the external appreciation from everyone around them, however, I think that people need to take a minute and realize their accomplishments no matter how big or small.  We all deserve our moment in the spotlight, but we can't rely on others to give it to us.  It only took 26 years but I think I get it now.  What is "it" you ask?  I finally get that being me and doing my best is enough...(yes mom rest easy your message has been received) So for anyone out there that is reading this... take a minute think about it, I bet you can come up with some real accomplishments that you probably haven't given full justice too, and while you are at it, make new goals for accomplishments you would like to reach in the future...Dream Big...LIVE BIGGER!

And as always remember...Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment