Saturday, October 22, 2011

when you least expect it...

My last entry went against all that I set out on this blog to do, which was to take things that were negative and turn them into positives through writing, because no matter how bad things are or at least how bad they seem it is important to remember that it is not the end of the world.  I didn't want to be one of those people that are always so focused on the things that are not going right that I have a hard time focusing on the good things that have happened or that are going to happen.  I have since regained my positive attitude and although things haven't changed at work, I have regained control of myself.  I mean no job is every going to be perfect, and I know that, and although my current job even further from perfect...doesn't mean I have to wallow in the imperfections.  Rather I have found, yet again a new sense of motivation.  Let me introduce you to the world of the Future Soldier Classes!  That's right, my new founded motivation began with a decision to attempt to attend one of these classes.  When I joined I found out that these classes would be held at the Recruiting Station every Thursday from 330-500.  This was not realistic for me because I work from 8-5.  After writing the last entry I knew I had to do something drastic, I began hitting the gym solo for a few days, it seemed to take some of the edge off, but also made me rethink the FTS Classes.  I decided to ask a co-worker to switch shifts with me this past Thursday.  She did so without question, allowing me to see what the deal was with these FTS classes.  I arrived at the recruiting station early, (as I always do)  It turned out that I was the only woman in the group, but yet a sense of strength and pleasure at the prospect of being the only female was surprising to me.  We began with some drill and ceremony lessons and practice outside, then came in to watch and discuss a PowerPoint presentation on Equal Opportunity within the Army.  I left feeling rejuvenated and  empowered.  I found it to be hard to keep motivated knowing I had such a long time until my ship date, but these classes make me feel part of something now while I wait, plus I get the opportunity to sit with other people who are going through what I am going through.  Doug has been an amazing support system, but he has been in the Army for a long time, and the time prior to his ship date was not nearly as far away as mine is.  I was told during my time at the FTS Class that next Thursday they would be working with us (they being the recruiters) on PT (physical training) And then on Nov. 5th there is a future soldier training event...I would have the opportunity to meet other Future Soldiers from around the state.  I have found that my joy and drive has given me the ability to think more clearly, be more organized, and stay focused on the tasks that lay ahead for any given day.  Things have a way of getting out of control.  And things have a way of taking on a life of its own, often leaving us behind.  It's easy to get overwhelmed and depressed which makes us lazy.  The trick is to realize when this is happening, and take a step back, figure out what the problem is and overcome it, before it takes control of you, because once it has control of you, it forces you into a rut that is almost impossible to get out of without some event that wakes you up.  
Just living is not enough...one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment