Friday, February 4, 2011

Admired Dedication...

     Today as I was driving home from work in another wet snowfall in 35 degree weather, which coincidentally felt warm due to the miserable -15 degree weather we have had all week prior to today; there was a man on the corner with one of those arrow shaped advertisement signs.  Now they are just about on every street corner here, and some are more active than others.  However, keep in mind its dusk on my way home.  From across the street at the red light I couldn't even tell what he was trying to advertise, partly from being darker and partly because of the snowfall.  But this man continued to dance whole heartedly to him Ipod music as he spun and tossed the sign every which way imaginable.  Now, call me crazy but there isn't enough money in this world to have me spinning a sign in the snow in 35 degree weather, (even if it did feel warmer.)  As my light turned green and I was able to pass the gentleman with the sign I noticed two things...one the sign wasn't for anything life saving it was for Sam's liquor store in the Southlands shopping center across the street from where this man was standing, and two...He was grinning from ear to ear!  Imagine it...snow...falling...wet...cold...spinning a sign on the corner...on a friday night....and still grinning?!?!??!  I couldn't believe what I saw.  I understand that in this economy a job is a job, and we should all be thankful for our good fortune that we are employed.  And its very important to like our job (at least most of the time)  Yet, I couldn't imagine ever being happy standing on a street corner in the snow and the cold.  Which gives me pause to think some more.  Perhaps there was more to it than what I saw.  Ahh "you can't judge a book by its cover."  I guess that applies to more than I realized.  Perhaps its important to just stay positive and happy in all that you do whether it is your first choice or not...Maybe that is what really would make the world go round? 

Some food for thought (at least for me)
Just living is not enough...one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment